Sunday, November 15, 2009

One-Light Louie

On Friday, I drove up to IKEA in Frisco and stopped by Cowboy Studio Lighting in Dallas on the way. Picked up a couple new shoot-through umbrella and continuous light fixture, among other things. Before we headed out to parents' house this afternoon, I tossed a light stand, CL fixture, and umbrella into the back of my truck, hoping I'd have time to shoot some basic portraits of this guy before we lost all window light. Yeah... that didn't happen.

But I forged ahead anyway, stubborn as I am. This is with that one light set up in a room that currently has no light fixtures (they just had the ceiling fixed), and it was just after dusk, so the light coming in through the big windows was pretty much useless. Had to go with a higher ISO than I would ever normally use for portraits, and it shows. The umbrella is about even with his head, about six inches to the right (you can see it reflected in his glasses). He's also holding a piece of white posterboard as a reflector on the other side of his face. I wish I'd had at least one more light with me, preferably one of my strobe & softboxes. Anyway. Be sure to click to see it a bit bigger--the blogger compression really did a doozy on this one. This one is totally untouched by the way. I'll clean it up a little before I let him use it for a profile picture :)

Aperture: f/5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/40
ISO: 800
Focal Length: 56.0 mm
Lens: 28-90 mm
Flash: none
White Balance: Auto (forgot to tuck the WB target into my camera bag)

2 comments:

  1. The logo here is doing a number on his shirt which is not nearly as noticeable once you click on it. I agree, the compression for this particular photo is not kind but once you click... Much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The white balance is a bit cool and I've learned that if you point the light so that its above the rim of the glass (higher, pointed down) you won't get the reflection in the lenses. I like the composition and his expression a lot though. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete