Monday, November 2, 2009

Freshly Shaven Pate

Fudging just a bit--this photo is from yesterday afternoon :) Resized and added the watermark, didn't touch it otherwise.

SOTC
Aperture: 5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/60
ISO: 200
Focal Length: 71.0 mm
Lens: 28-90 mm
Flash: None

Photo taken indoors next to a large window on the left. Glass on the right (an indoor window) reflecting just a bit of light.


Can you believe I do not own a white balance card? Before now I've never actually wished I had one, since I shoot RAW and can fix it with a simple click. But this photo shoot illustrated to me the importance of having custom WB, so a WB target is at the top of my list of things to add to the camera bag. The Auto WB setting on the camera gave me an image that was blah and flat (pic below left). The simple click in photoshop turned the image blue in this case, because the spectrum of colors in the image is so limited. It was still an easy fix (duplicate layer, overlay blend mode, adjust brightess and contrast, reduce opacity), but it would be very cool if I didn't HAVE to fix it because the camera captured the colors just right. KWIM?



Yaaay! My friend Stacy Holumzer Ginkel is also participating in the photo challenge, but lacking her own blog, I've invited her to share her photos here. This is her first:

SOTC
Aperture: f.8
Shutter Speed: 1/30
ISO: 100
AWB: Daylight
Flash: None

5 comments:

  1. I think I agree with you on the white balance of that photo. Its a nice photo before you photoshopped it, but much better with the photoshopping.

    And Stacy, welcome to the challenge! Love the roses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about WB in camera. It saves so much time and work in post processing. Definitely invest in a WBing tool.

    It doesn't matter which one you buy. They basically perform the same task, but the real difference is convenience. I've tried the Lastolite Grey Card, the WhiBal Crey Card, and the ExpoDisc. I ended up choosing the ExpoDisc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice headshots. I find I always like fiddling around with photos in post anyways (I think I like doing that more than actually taking the pictures), so I've never bothered with a WB card either. Though there have been times where it would have been helpful.

    Also, nice shot Stacey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to fiddle in photoshop, too, which is why I don't have a WB gadget after so many years of semi-pro photography. :) But I sometimes do portraits for school events, like Grandparents Day or Talent Show, where I take hundreds of photos and really would rather slap on my watermark and upload them to an order site and not have to adjust them first. (In all honesty, though, even if the WB is fabulous, I'm still fiddling in PS, making each photo as perfect as I can...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should look into getting LightRoom then if you're doing big shoots like that. If a series of photos have the same lighting you can get the settings on one to where you like it and then sync all the similar photos to that one. Really helps speed up the process.

    ReplyDelete