Friday, November 13, 2009

Librophile, logophile, photophile

I haven't played with bounce flash in a while. I generally eschew on-camera fill-flash (patooey!), and when I'm out and about, I normally don't carry a shoe-mount flash with me. Even for portraits, I prefer to use natural light and a reflector or two. I can honestly admit now (*uncomfortable cough*) that my negligence of my strobes and shoe-mount is largely because I haven't been comfortable with the manual settings on my camera (sadly whatever mastery I gained in Sgt. Pratschler's photography class circa 1989 was neglected and disused upon the purchase of my first wonderfully automatic Canon SLR).

I wish I'd knocked myself upside the head and done this manual-immersion challenge years ago. *shaking head ruefully*

My photo of the day is of a very small selection of books in my front room/office. It's just a hair underexposed, IMO, which I didn't see until I opened it in Adobe Camera Raw. Resisted the urge to fix it with a quick slide of the exposure control bar. But the colors actually look better here than they do in real life.

Aperture: f/8.0
Shutter Speed: 1/50
ISO: 200
Focal Length: 41.0 mm
Lens: 28-90 mm
Flash: Kodak shoe mount bounced off white ceiling
White Balance: Auto

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, someone who owns as many books as I do!!! Love the subject, love the photo...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice picture!! Love the subject matter!

    ReplyDelete